Q: How do I determine the right size and placement of a chandelier?
The rules of Chandelier Size and Hanging vary by room and can be difficult to grasp. There are two important measurements to take into consideration when choosing the correct chandelier size: height and diameter.
Use the steps below to take the guesswork out of Chandelier Size and Hanging
Entryway Chandelier Size and Hanging Guide
Your entryway is your guest’s first impression of your home, and the right lighting and Chandelier Size & Hanging plays a significant role in that impression.
The chandelier selected will need to reflect your home’s design aesthetic. It must be the right size for the space; too small and it will look dwarfed, while a too-big chandelier can overpower a room.
- Higher ceilings require a taller
- The rule of thumb is to accommodate 2.5-3 inches of chandelier height for each foot of ceiling height.
- A standard 8-foot ceiling requires a chandelier that is 20-24 inches in height.
- If your ceilings are taller than that, add 2 inches for every foot over 8 feet to that number
- To figure out the diameter, add the height and the width of the room together.
- Treat that sum as inches, and you have the suggested diameter of the chandelier for that space.
- For example, if the room is 20 by 18 feet, the sum is 38 feet. The approximate diameter of a chandelier that would work well in that area is 38 inches.
Dining Room and Kitchen Table Chandelier Size and Hanging Guide
In a dining room, it is key to measure accurately to ensure perfect placement of the right-size light.
Size (Height and Diameter)
- Measure the length and width of your dining room in feet, add those two numbers together and use that sum in inches.
- For example, if a dining room measures 10′ x 14′, it would be 10 + 14 = 24. You’ll want to look for a 24-inch diameter chandelier.
- If the room needs a big statement add 6 or 8 additional inches
- A chandelier hung above a table should have a diameter of 1-foot narrower than the table’s width.
Determine the placement over a table
- Chandeliers should be centered over the dining table. (If you are placing two smaller chandeliers, center the two of them).
- If your ceilings are higher than 8 feet, add about three inches to the hanging height per foot.
- For example, if your ceiling is 10 feet tall, your lighting fixture should be hung 36-40 inches over the table.
Determine the placement within the room
- Measure the height of your dining room.
- For a ceiling that’s 8 feet high, the bottom of the fixture should be 60 inches from the floor. If the piece is extremely detailed you might want to move it up to 65 inches from the floor.
- For ceilings taller than 8 feet, add 2 inches for every foot over.
Living Room Chandelier Size and Hanging Guide
For the best lighting, you will want to place the chandelier in the center of the living space, usually over the coffee table.
- Hang the chandelier at least 7 feet from the floor to avoid people bumping into it.
Bathroom Chandelier Size & Hanging Guide
Adding a chandelier to your bathroom adds a touch of glamour and sets the tone for a relaxing bath.
- When hanging the chandelier over the tub, allow for 8 feet of clearance above the highest edge of the tub. (You will be climbing in and out of the tub, so you want to give yourself extra room.)
- If there is not enough clearance above your tub, or you prefer a different location, hang the chandelier at least 3 feet from the tub, at a height suited to your space (see below photo).
Over Islands Chandelier Size and Hanging Guide
Hang the light fixture(s) 30-34 inches above the island
A few more sites to help you with…..
Chandelier Size and Hanging
Want to refresh or remodel your home but have no idea where to start?
Marina matches homeowners with the perfect interior designer based on personality, scope of work, talented needed, design style, budget, location, and timing.
Interested in learning more? Click here to view a short video on her Complimentary Designer Matching Service
Contact Marina today to start a conversation about the many wonderful options we have at your disposal~