Tips for Interviewing Interior Designers
If you have never worked with a designer before you are sure to appeciate these tips on interviewing-designers. Selecting the right designer can alleviate major headaches! Choosing the wrong one can have the opposite effect.
The following information will guide you in your designer search, provide you with the tools to interview and hire a professional interior designer. If you have, additional questions do not hesitate to contact us at 303.916.9515.
What questions should I ask when we meet?
Below are suggested questions that you will find helpful when you meet with potential interior designers. Choose the questions that are relevant and important to you based on the scope and size of your project. Trustworthy interior designers will take the time to answer your questions and make sure you understand the design process.
- How long have you been in this business? Look for a well-established company that has been in business for at least 10 years.
- What types of services and products do you provide?
- How do you work with your clients and what will my role in the design process be?
- How is the design budget established and what type of payment terms do you require?
- Are you willing and able to work within my budget?
- How do you charge for your products and services?
- What was the last major problem you had on a job and how was it resolved? Their answer will provide insight into their dedication to exceeding their client’s expectations and their business ethics.
- How often do you communicate with your customers as the job is progressing?
- Describe your approach to problem-solving and resolving complaints regarding workers, materials, or workmanship.
- How much time will you spend on our job each week, either on-site or in planning?
- What type and size of projects have you completed in the last year? What was the budget range?
- May I have a list of references? The designer should be able to provide references from at least three clients who have completed projects that are similar to yours.
Don’t be afraid to call their clients; ask direct questions like:
Note: If you are interviewing designers through Designer Premier, they have already been vetted. You do not need to check references however, they will be provided if you would like. Marina has worked with most of the designers she represents since 2003. They are exceptional and trustworthy.
- Were you satisfied with the designer’s work?
- Did they start and finish on time?
- Was there ample communication between you and the designer?
- Did they answer the phone or return calls promptly?
- Were there any unpleasant surprises?
- Were they respectful of your budget?
- Would you recommend the designer and use them again?